Happy Saturday everyone! I can’t believe next weekend is the Super Bowl in Houston! I would always tell my family that I would just want to get out of Houston before all the traffic and craziness started happening, but then Daniel talked me into staying in the house to have a Super Bowl party with the family. I love hanging out with family so of course, I said yes. I’m trying to eat healthier this year, but sometimes it can be hard to make party food ‘healthy’ so I’ll give yall some easy semi-healthy foods to make for the big day this year.
1. Chicken Chili I love to make things easier, so I just toss everything in a crockpot and go. The best thing about this is that it can serve about 6 people, so if you’re just having close family over it’s perfect!
2. Loaded Nachos! I know this isn’t that healthy, but try taking away staple football foods from the men in our house and they’ll just stare at you haha! However, instead of having a bunch of cheese and beef, replace beef with lean turkey and go easy on the cheese. Don’t forget to add some pico or avocados on top!
3. Chicken Tacos. Once again replace beef with chicken! Beef is fine, but I like to give it to Daniel in moderation just because I need his heart to be healthy forever! I like to season the chicken with the usual salt and pepper, but I add cayenne and onion powder for extra flavors. You can use any tortilla you choose, but corn is my favorite. Put some lettuce, pico, and guacamole in and then chicken, and you’re set! For a side, you can make roasted corn coated with butter salt and pepper, then put in the oven for 20-25 mins on 420 and you’re done.
4. Chocolate Chip Cookies I know this isn’t healthy, but everyone needs a treat for the party!
5. Veggie & Meat Kebabs. Slice up some bell peppers and add shrimp or chicken on a stick then grill up for a healthy bite! If you don’t have a grill, you can place the same thing on a baking sheet for 20-25 minutes on 450 in the oven, making sure to flip on another side after 10 minutes. There are many different marinating choices you can put on the kebabs, but I like this:
-juice and zest of 2 limes
-1/4 cup fresh cilantro
-3 cloves garlic
-1 tsp salt
-1/2 tsp cayenne or black pepper
-3 tbsp olive oil
Let the shrimp or chicken marinate for 2hrs before cooking.
I hope y’all love this healthy twist on Super Bowl food, and that it inspires you!